An Assistant Media Buyer assists the Buyers, Supervisors, and Directors in the stewardship of media buys across multiple media accounts. They negotiate with networks and prepare various documents related to media buying and consumption for different clients.
Typically, Assistant Media Buyer responsibilities are:
- Communicate with networks: Communicates about the requirements with the networks and asks for rates and availability of media. Finalizes the timeslot/space (schedules) and negotiates upgrades with the networks to ensure best results for the client.
- Documentation and reporting: Prepare detailed documents related to media purchases on a daily and weekly basis. Reports the expenses on media buying and the schedules of different advertisements as provided by the vendors.
- Monitor media activities: Monitors different media types to ensure that the advertisements run/appear on the different media channels according to the agreement. Must instruct the vendor to make up for any missed advertisements that do not run. A successful Assistant Media Buyer should have excellent communication and negotiation skills, along with proficiency in mathematics and statistics to evaluate the most economic and effective media solutions for clients. Technical skills such as using MS Office, internet and e-mail are also necessary to work efficiently in this position.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and steward National TV buys on certain accounts
- Support Buyer needs on all accounts
- Request schedules, posts, tracking info, logs, etc. from Networks.
- Utilize buying systems to input schedules, produce post-buy analysis reports and resolve billing discrepancies.
- Maintain and track buy information and post reporting.
- Secure and maintain added value information on certain buys.
- Recommend solutions to day-to-day stewardship issues.
- Develop and maintain knowledge and understanding of industry trends and new technologies that effect the buying discipline.
- Effectively communicate buy maintenance needs to vendors to get results in a timely manner.
- Create and issue reports to clients within deadlines.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Bachelor’s Degree or above
- Communication and/or Finance background a strong plus
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with excel preferred
- Articulate with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Organized and focused on attention to detail
- Flexible multi-tasker, with the ability to follow directions
- A team player who has a positive attitude within in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Someone who can build rapport and relationships with co-workers and within the National media industry.
Please note that as part of the interview process for the Assistant Media Buyer spot a basic math test will be administered.